My mother, stepfather John and caregiver Maria, all immigrants who spoke English as a second language, taught me to work hard, overcome challenges, live purposefully and give your time generously to others.
2. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
You cannot help everyone in need unless your goal is to be carried out on a stretcher.
3. What is an issue that you think women should focus on in 2014?
Pay equity, equitable advancement to leadership positions, reproductive rights and work/life
4. The Queen’s Bench theme for 2014 is "Authentic Communication: Considering the Value
of Including Diverse Perspectives”, what does this theme mean to you?
We should embrace the views of all people, without valuing the perspective of one over another because of historical discrimination and/or present unconscious or conscious bias. Diversity enriches the discussion and resultant action. When we are ready to confront inequities through an honest dialogue, without fear of retribution, we will advance and evolve.
5. What is your favorite movie?
6. What is the last book you read for pleasure?
My Beloved World, Sonia Sotomayor.
7. What is something that you are proud of, that most people don't know about you?
I started running last year and I am up to 6 miles.